Where to find my pots...

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Being There for When It Happens.

I heard Kate Maury on The Potter's Cast the other day and she related the craft or artistry of pottery to music and this hit a beat or chord with me. She stated that the influential ceramics teacher, Val Cushings, likened pottery to improvisational jazz. The reference was to jazz in that you really need to know your licks, have the ability to communicate with others, and do your time and practice. Lately, I keep talking about working on my chops in the the studio. As Kate Stated, "you really need your regiment, and sit down, and be there for when it happens. Recently, I sat down and threw 12 mugs and I wrote about how making handles multiple times and how this taught me the subtleties of creating a better handle; economically and aesthetically. The last two days I also threw nine larger bowls and learned a lot about how to open a bowl. I saw how it improves the floor of the bowl and by using double ribs, one inside and one outside simultaneously that is helps in creating the final thickness of the wall, or at least tells you whether to pull up one more time.

Back to music. The reason I brought this up is because I have a gig this weekend. I am playing in Anchorage with Johnny B. A local piano player and composer of multiple styles of music. I will be backing him on the drums and percussion in a production of his original pieces, accompanied by images of Alaska in picture and movie formant. Many of the pictures and movies are taken by Dainel Zatz and have appeared in Alaska Coolest Mamal DVD. As a drummer I have learned that because I have put in my time over the years, that I actually get to be there for when great moments happen; when you are clicking with fellow musician. You feel it and the audience feels it, and that is the moment. This is especially easy and fun when backing up such a fine musician as Johnny Bushell. So, prior to this weekend, all the pots have been trimmed and the base glaze are slaken, and we are off to Anchorage. Looking forward to being there for when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment