Where to find my pots...

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Barrel Firing Second Time Around

Yesterday, I lit the down draft barrel kiln for a second time this winter. I threw in four small pots sprayed with ferric chloride, sprinkled with salt and sugar, wrapped in aluminum saggar and one large pot similarly prepped. Inside of the large pot I put in a couple of pieces with yellow ocher, red iron oxide, and copper sulfate.

Here are the results. My intention with the large pot was to make it look like fossilized dessert sandstone. I have brittle stars and trilobites slip trailed.

 The other pots came out nice. The lower right pot was in the big pot. The only issue I have now is the with the terra sigilatta. After it dries it cracks, which is an interesting effect, however, if I buff it as soon as it dries, then I can eliminate the cracks. A couple of the pots were burnished before the terra sigilatta application. I don't know if this makes a difference yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment