Where to find my pots...

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Last Kiln Opening Before Penland

I opened the kiln on Friday morning and was greeted by this tea pot. This is only my third tea pot. The first one sold and the second is awaiting an opportunity for a cone 10 firing. I like making tea pots, I just need to focus on making more.
 I have a new glaze called June Perry red. Here it is on a brittle star bowl. I am pretty happy with it.
 Another new glaze on the shelf is this Tripplett chameleon glaze with 2% copper carbonate.
 Here is the same glaze on a red clay body with the same glossy base 4% rutile as you see above. The red clay body lends itself to a nice blue rutile.
 Here are the Homer Brewing Company tankards. There are three glaze lines, each on the red and white clay bodies. So, far the only draw back is the middle left tankard on the red clay body. It bubbled and is rough. After consulting with John Britt on a Facebook site about Exploring Mid Range Glazes he stated, "There are more gasses in the clay and so if you bisque longer it can help (100 per hour from 1100 - 1900 F ). That is an extreme example but it can help. Some people just go 100 F per hour from 1300 - 1700 F." So, that is where I am headed and will refire these four tankards and see what happens this spring upon my return from Penland.

Finally, I wanted to try something different with bowls. Here is some wax resist on the red clay body with some dots (June Perry red glaze) and bull kelp (weathered bronze). The application of the glazes need to be thicker.


I will continue to blog when I get the opportunity at Penland. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment