Where to find my pots...

Monday, February 16, 2015

Trials and Try Again

It has been warm in Homer this February. Sure, we had a week of cold, but the warmth is back. Presently, it is blowing 30 mph out with gusts at 45 mph. Yikes.
 I loaded the kiln last week with the hopes of seeing some great results. Everything was a prototype for future lines and projects, so I kind of set myself up for high expectations. Don't do it.


 Out of six boat trays the two below came out with no structural cracks and some nice glaze combos. The two below are the survivors. I sprayed the glazes on using a low volume high pressure spray gun on the outside of the boats. I really like the results.


 The above boat tray sank unfortunately. It had several areas were the bottom opened up and the handles were too fragile. The other three the bottoms completely opened up. It seems porcelain works better that the stoneware, but it has more memory, so it is prone to distorting. I may have to lay these on their tops as the dry, to prevent cracking. I don't want to abandon the design, so I will try another half dozen.

On a positive note, the Homer Brewery tankard prototypes came out with some nice results. I will be running the two lines below. More to come.

Meanwhile, I had a wonderful weekend playing drums with Tyson James and the Hot Strangs on Friday and North Country Cajun Club on Saturday night at Alice's Campaign Palace. I am very fortunate to play with some great musicians.


On a final note, I have to share the menu for our weekly Downton Abbey dinner. This week Nicky was the chef. She had fun preparing the menu, based on the fact we live out East End Road and current events. A great meal was had by all who attended.


No comments:

Post a Comment